March 11, 2013

Massage as Rehab


This massage therapist loves a challenge, and I frequently get them. Yet sometimes I wonder if I am doing the “right” thing. You know, the right thing as in “Do the Right Thing.”

Massage therapists are darned good at shaving a few points off a golf game. We excel at getting rid of the post-lunch headache. I’ve never met a trigger point I couldn’t conquer.

But what happened the other day got me good and flummoxed.

Here’s what happened: A new client with a long record of running lots of Ironman triathalons came in for relief from back pain from two crushed discs - so he can continue to compete in many more Ironmans.

I have to admit I asked a good many questions. And the bottom line came back to competition. He has to be able to go back to compete. If massage won’t help, he plans to take a year off to have back surgery (even the surgeon told him he didn’t need it) so he can go back to racing. It is that important.

What is the right thing? Frankly, the client is “the decider.” Yes, I am unqualified to decide what another person wants or desires or what is right for them. I can ask questions, I can offer ideas, but it is the client’s choice. It was time to pull up my big girl panties and see what I could do to help this client.

How would you deal with this?

1 comment:

Hong Kong Tantric Massage said...

Interesting article. Not all people, however, know the importance of massage and its ability to heal the body and the mind.