August 17, 2012

The story on how a stranger became at home in your world


Hi there Find Touchers!

I’m Mel. Or Melissa, depending on if you get emails from me.  I thought that you might like to get to know me a little, and learn how I came to Find Touch, and how massage has changed my life.

I was born in San Diego, and moved up to Seattle when I was 10. Did a back and forth a few times, but I am here to stay, and couldn’t be happier. I’m a rainy day kind of girl! I’m married (two months to the day!) and a proud mama of a Siberian Corgi (Locke) and two wonderful cats (Eko and Jack).  I’m a reader,baker, cook, penguin enthusiast,  writer, chemistry enthusiast, and love a good whiskey.

The path to my career in massage started just over a year ago. I was a server, working at a popular restaurant just above Pike Place Market. For a few months, I had some minor knee pain, which only impeded my ability to walk a little. Nothing big, I certainly didn’t think twice about it. I’ve had knee problems in the past-but I loved my job.

But this pesky knee pain. It just kept getting worse. It got to the point where I was holding on to a counter to pull myself up with every ounce of strength in my arms, while my knees were screaming at me. Stairs became something I avoided at all costs. I could walk…but it was not the most fun activities I could think of.  Getting in and out of cars was…a feat. 

And then came my breaking point. Quite literally. I was on my way to a chemistry test (see, it really is one of my passions!) and my knee said no more. It gave out on me. I was sobbing in pain, on a bench, a hundred feet from my classroom. Yet, I sucked it up and hobbled (holding back the tears) to my course, and promptly failed the exam because my knee was in such pain. I quit my beloved serving job as I laid on my bed, writhing in pain, it hurting even when I wasn’t putting any pressure on it. It was a rough time, and I worried my fiancé and family so.

I was lost. I couldn’t walk, couldn’t work. Couldn’t finish the career path in which I had set myself on.  I sat on my couch, hour after hour, just watching television. Until, I got a massage.

I don’t even wish I was kidding.  I had one session, on my knee.

And I could walk.

Granted, I wasn’t pain free. Not yet. But after another session, I could walk farther, and more often. And oh goodness…it felt so good.  And so then, I started working with Find Touch.  I had a new, amazing  appreciation for massage therapy! 

Since this pain began, its been a long journey. I’ve been through physical therapy, learned all the exercises, and yet, still, nothing worked for me quite like massage.

Which is why I love you guys. So much.  Because of the healing work that you provide, I can walk again. I can take my monster (affectionately called) for a walk.  I can mow my backyard, and go for hikes in the fantastic NW.   I can go up the stairs to work to connect you with employers, Continuing Education, special deals and our blog. 

I am so proud to work with the healers that you are. I learn more about you every day, and more about the healing that you provide. As a non massage therapist immersed in a massage driven community-I can’t thank you enough. I continue to be inspired by you daily, and am personally forever thankful to you. All. Of. You.

Mel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mel! sue Peterson

Amy said...

That's really kind, thanks!