August 2, 2011

The Purpose-Driven Massage

In the action of performing massages daily, I've often had to step back before starting a session, take a Zen breath and get grounded. Why? Because I operate on the belief, as I suspect many therapists do, that my intent affects how well the massage will proceed.

My thoughts need to be in a calm, subdued and peaceful state when doing the massage. Not thinking about bills, problems or arguments, but thinking of the client’s areas of tension and envisioning those areas as clear and calm as the summer sea.
Managing my moods and thoughts translates directly into my intent, and my intent should reflect my desire that the person on the table feel better. As an operating belief, I think it works for me. But it does raise the question: If my intent is clouded with other unrelated or stressful thoughts, does that negatively affect the outcome of the massage?

I suppose I can speculate all day, but the truth is in the result. I think people know when they have had a good massage, so they probably know when they have had a bad one. But if the massage is technically good, can simple thoughts interfere with those results?

I can relate, but only through experience. I’ve had massages that seemed perfectly normal, but they didn’t turn out well. One was too fast and the therapist seemed to be on automatic. It left me feeling nervous. Another time I felt the therapist would much rather be doing something else other than massage. I can’t say I didn't feel well after the massages, but I did not get that feel-good-for-a-few-days bump I associate with a good massage.

Is there a bottom line to intent? I think so. But don’t ask me to quantify that. I wonder how massage therapists rate their intent versus technique. Is intent the most important thing? Is intent the only thing? Or just an operating belief that keeps the therapist in the Zen zone?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Great post. I find that intent is key when I'm giving a massage. When I'm distracted I know the quality of my massages decreases.

Larisa said...

I think Intent is critical. Half the healing of a good massage is a clear intent for healing and staying present with the client.