July 25, 2011

Stalking the Ultimate Face Cradle Cover

Time to face the facts: most cradle covers remind me of some grandma’s underwear.

The covers do not fit very well, leaving lots of extra cotton. The little stretchy elastic edge seems like undies to me. I’ve noticed clients tend to get itchy noses while prone because the lower seam covers their airway a bit. And the side seams leave a wrinkle line on faces that reminds me of the nuns who taught at my grade school.

Can’t someone make a giant leap for humankind and massage and come up with a better design?

OK – I have tried alternatives. Once, I bought a box of nurse hats recommended by a chair massage company. In the field, I found that the holes I made in the middle left the clients breathing little polyester fibers. A client asked me if it is the same stuff they make insulation from. Plus: they are cheap. Minus: Very scratchy, Home-Depot feel.

I tried a firm cotton and paper towel once only to find it is so absorbent it sticks to makeup – and the faces wearing makeup. Great idea, too many sticky cheeks out there. Clients are supposed to laugh at my jokes, not the linens.

At some point someone came up with the idea to add Velcro to the upper and lower seams to gather up the extra cotton and make the covers snug, but on my thick cradle cushion, the Velcro tends to be too close to the face and scratches the forehead a bit.

Now every time I open up a web page, magazine or browse an exhibit hall, I go on a hunt for a new design. No more thin paper, as in toilet seat covers, for me or my clients.

At an AMTA convention last year I picked up some flat, double flannel covers. No seams along the face line, no drooping over the nose. Perfect. I wore them out. Now can I find that lady’s card? Please, if you know someone who makes these....

4 comments:

Heather said...

LOL. I tried the firm cotton paper towels before too and had the same problem you described. They were way too absorbent.

Don Thorson,LMP said...

Try these floks, they make very good products, though from personal experience, I won;t reccommend their sheets, TOO SMALL for the tables. But the cradle covers are AWESOME !!!

Don Thorson,LMP said...

Sorry, I didn't use spell check before I posted that !!!

And I forgot to post the Company site too:

Sew and Sew

http://sewandsewonline.com/

Anonymous said...

Don: from Sue Peterson, Of course, ?I am ona mission now. I will give these guys a try and report back......thanks! -- anyone who has a recommendation, please post yours in comments. I will try them all! hugs, your Bloggy Sue