April 26, 2009

What's on Your Facebook Page?

Would you show it to your mom? And don't tell me "yeah, my mom's totally cool with my nudie pictures..." You know what I mean.

I currently hire therapists, and in the past I've done hiring in other fields. When I get a resume, I do a couple of things (in addition to reading the resume, of course). If the applicant provides a url to a personal or business website, I usually check it out. I can get a lot of info about the person's treatment philosophy and experience from their web page. And I often Google the applicant's name.

Image representing MySpace as depicted in Crun...


CNN recently ran an interesting article, Should Your Boss Be Your Facebook Friend? As Facebook's logo states, it's "a place for friends." Well yeah, but it's not like having a private chat with your bff.

From CNN's article: "If you use Facebook to air political rants, document your wild weekend escapades, post wacky photos or vent about your job, you should obviously have some concerns about letting your boss view this aspect of your life," Rutledge cautions. "But what's important to remember is that no online content is truly private, even if your intention is to share this information only with your Facebook friends. Facebook makes your profile viewable to anyone in the networks you belong to, even if you're not directly connected with or even know all the network members," Rutledge says."

"Unprofessional online content, or 'digital dirt' as it's often called, is a problem that goes beyond Facebook. Anything you post online is essentially public and can affect your career and job prospects, both positively and negatively."

So just think about it before you Digg, flame someone in a newsgroup, or post to your MySpace or Facebook page.

No comments: