January 16, 2008

Tax Season Is Upon Us, Therapists, Are You Ready?

This topic can be rather overwhelming for massage therapists including myself. Where do you go to have your taxes prepared? What can you claim as a sole proprietor? Must you file quarterly or annually? How do you know if you have the proper licensing? Yikes!!

In the spirit of helping other therapists in the state of Washington here are a couple of simple suggestions:

If you are practicing independently and picking up work here and there you’ll want to have a city business license/ UBI number. The website containing the information including the master business application is: (www.dol.wa.gov/business/startbusiness.html).

Now, onto the subject of taxes, of course I cannot offer advice, however, I can direct you to a website and a book that can break things down for you in Layman’s terms so to speak. The IRS site directly is at http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq12-2.html. The book I am referring to is Surprisingly Simple: Independent Contractor, Sole Proprietor, and LLC Taxes Explained in 100 Pages or Less. I have skimmed sections and find it an easy read. It includes information about a schedule C which you will want to look at if you plan to start claiming business expenses.

If you have any other useful information and suggestions, please, feel free to share!

Michelle B,
Find Touch Inc.,

No comments: