August 19, 2013

Reward: Used Maroon Astra-Lite Table with Wheeled Black Carry Case….



Other than a rare bad check, my massage practice and business has never been ripped off – until last month. Armed with a pizza, the dog, my phone and laundry, I neglected to make sure all the doors were securely closed on my car that Sunday night.
           
Monday, after doing about 10 errands, I noticed things looked different in my car. The console was light on pennies, dimes and nickels; the papers usually on the glove box shelf were on the floor.  Where is my gum?

I stopped at the next errand and looked in the trunk. My massage table was gone. Along with a nice big bag of clean laundry (they left the bag of dirty sheets) and my coffee can full of pens, cheater glasses and odd bits.
          
“Aren’t you mad somebody ripped you off?” a friend said. “Don’t you feel violated?”
           
Well, actually I didn’t feel that way. I thought about putting a $100 bill in the middle of a bear trap in the driveway, but it seemed like it might create too much paperwork. I don’t look good in an orange jumpsuit. Who does?
           
Revenge takes too much effort. A cracked-open door with a wrapped birthday present on the front seat loaded with exploding skunk stink packs would be too elaborate. Plus, burglars and thieves injured on or by other folks property can sue their homeowner’s insurance and often win. Plus-plus, I can’t wrap presents very well.

Back to the $100 bill fantasy, this time coated with herpes simplex virus, itching powder and dog floop.

Things happen, especially when you don’t make sure to lock the car. I was thinking about a new table anyway.

Meanwhile, if someone tries to sell you a used maroon Astra-lite with wheeled black case….

4 comments:

'Drea said...

Wow, can't believe they took your massage table.

I had a GPS taken that way. It was old with outdated maps and I wanted to get a fancier one but it was still mine. Inexplicably, the thief left the charger and carrying case behind...

Cynthia (Chief Nestling) said...

I had a similar thing happen recently. I was so tired from a chair massage gig plus driving home in "rush" "hour" traffic that I think I must have left my car unlocked. The next morning I, too, gradually noticed that something was weird with my car--glove box papers removed, CDs scattered about--and it finally dawned on me what had happened.

They didn't take my chair or supplies, but they DID take my CD player, prescription sunglasses, and a farmer's market coupon. The sunglasses especially irk me, because they probably couldn't even pawn them them since they were prescription and had different powers for each eye.

I don't have renter's insurance and my car insurance doesn't cover theft of a stereo/CD player unless it's permanently attached to the car. And the cops don't care if the total loss is below $1500. No remedy!

The timing was really spooky. My dog almost always sleeps in the yard, but I kept her inside because yard maintenance workers were going to be there the next day. She would have barked her head off otherwise, as my car is parked right by the fence. Either these crooks have incredible timing, or they are just always swarming around trying car door handles... *shudder*.

Anonymous said...

From Susan Peterson: Yes, it was tough losing a table and fixings that way...but I am happy to report I am happy with my new table and four new sets of linens....

Unknown said...

Within the past few years I've become interested in massage therapy and found one of the finest quality massage tables a few weeks ago. I couldn't imagine getting mine taken like that, I hope you're enjoying your new one!