October 2, 2012

To Glute or not to Glute…

Hey, it happens. A humble massage therapist is massaging someone who has a freak-out during the session and leaves. Later, the client wails in an online review that the massage was unprofessional because…(drum roll please)...the therapist massaged her glutes.

          
This scenario happened to a friend of mine and believe me, it was not a fun day at that office. We are not in the business of triggering people’s fears. We want to help people feel better.

I talked with my friend about this the other day and she was still steaming about the review and the session. It is not the client’s fault, I said, because people have triggers and they often do not express them. They have trust issues, abuse issues, etc. and in many cases the expectation is that we will be mind readers and know what they do not like.

Clients may have had few or no massages, I explained, and the ones they had may have been at a spa that offers general massages and managers do not allow glutei massage. Schools are turning out therapists for these spas, so many are not teaching glute massage.

And here we are, my friend and I, old-school therapists who went to school in the therapy-driven ‘90s and we learned not only are glute massages beneficial; they are often the key to unlocking back pain.

The way I dealt with glute massage in a spa environment was to ask clients what they wanted from their massage that day. And I would ask if there are areas they did not want massaged.

Now in private practice, I have the question on the client intake. I read the intake and go over it with the client before the massage starts.

If there is some reason to massage glutes, such as lumbar pain, I will tell the client that glute massage will help resolve the problem – so if they ever want to try it, just let me know. That gives the client both the reason and the control.

And sometimes, after they develop some trust in me, they will say OK.

The bottom line is, as always, the client is always right. If a client feels glutes are off-limits, then they are. Find out first before you get a bad reaction in a massage, or even worse, in this net age, a bad review online.

3 comments:

Annie Ochoa, LMP, CCST, CFEP, Polarity Therapist said...

I have never had this happen to me, primarily because I've always discussed my treatment plan ahead of the massage. If I feel that glutes should be included, I tell them scientifically why, show them how I will drape them for privacy, but ALWAYS make sure that they know that they do not have to receive glute work. I may tell them that by leaving it out that their treatment won't be as efficient and effective as it could be if they would be comfortable with it.

Also, likewise, I understand that people who don't know me are investing a whole lot of trust in me. When you consider the statistic I once read from the author of "The Gift of Fear" that 1 in 4 have been abused physically, you can know for sure that at LEAST that percentage of people will have issues about things like Glute work. So, I tell them I understand that they don't know me well yet, and if they would rather wait, then I completely understand.

I also suggest that if they feel like trying it, then they have the power to stop treatment on the glutes any time they wish and I will of course re-drape and re-direct the massage while giving them support for the choice they feel is right.

The client is always right, but we can sometimes help enlarge their view of what "right" might include! Like perhaps trying Glute work!!!

Anonymous said...

I've had back pain for a number of years. Last year I had a massage in Coral Springsthat did help some, but I'm looking for a better place to get some lower back treatments. I need a massage therapist like the ones talking on this blog!

Anonymous said...

Annie: I so agree! -- sue peterson