April 23, 2012

Therapist Notes from the Passenger Seat of a Low-Slung Sports Car


Sometimes when I am square in between someone’s shoulder blades, I find myself thinking about how some of these knots got there.

Most are whiplashes and hard work – a traffic encounter followed by running a lathe at the machine shop, or writing some intensely detailed thesis. No fun involved.

Once in a while somebody has a different combination.

This gentleman had back pain. He told me he had a brand new promotion and lots of extra stress with it.
 
As I worked on massaging his muscles, he told me the one fun thing about the promotion.

He celebrated by getting the dream car. Not that I know that much about cars, he was clearly having a ball driving his super-charged, T-topped Corvette.

“Have any trouble getting in and out of the car?” I asked.

There followed a long, ugly pause. His back stiffened.

“Some.”

Never mess with a dream.

“Tell you what, I bet you will love that car even more when I show you a couple of tricks
on getting in and out that will help your back.”

“Um. OK.” He started to relax.

Should this client be driving a roller skate with jet packs? Heck no.

But oh heck, later, when I stood looking at the Cherry-red (never maroon) super-finish of this slinky corvette I had to say: “Some people have all the toys!”

“Want a ride?

“You bet!”

Hair flying in the wind, I had to wonder: How am I going to get out of this car?   


1 comment:

How To Find A Therapist said...

I agree on what was stated here. We should make it sure that upon doing some exercise stuffs we should make it.Thanks