October 3, 2011

Cane and Able

Ok, I admit it. Like a lot of massage therapists, I have a vast collection of self-massaging tools. There are vibrators that can twist around to the upper back, magnetic chi vibrators, full back shiatsu rollers, tennis balls in hosiery, and of course heat pads, ice packs, moist heat packs, liniments and therapeutic salts.

Hey, I don’t really need all that stuff, it is market research! Uh-huh. That’s it. Market research. My clients need advice on what helps and what doesn’t, sure.

Well, having been in the spa biz and now independent practice for 11 years, I’ve got a big bunch of white storage boxes full of payroll records, receipts, etc. that have been looming in the garage for quite a while now. Supposedly you only have to keep the stuff for seven years, and I have never cleaned out the crud.

Sunday morning spouse and I, and a good friend, reached out to the crud, dragging it out from the back of the garage and filling bags for the shredder service. Of course, first we had to move a bunch of stuff to get to the boxes, and organize the Christmas stuff and pull out the herbal wrap system I bought used (and never used because of the huge linen sheets) and shift tons of other stuff including my mother-in-law’s collection of folded happy meal boxes and paper dolls.

We stretched first; we had water and chairs in the shade; and we took breaks.

Five hours later we looked like an assisted living glee club.

Which brings me back to my personal massage tool collection: I’m proud of it, having spent hours foraging at massage conventions, gadget stores, garage sales, etc. First I used my neck-holder, called the Real-Ease, which provides passive traction and restores the cervical curve. I drew a bath and tossed in Epsom salts and Kniepp Herbal bath. I highly recommend the Melissa variety.

Then I sprawled on the yoga mat, running my tennis-balls-in-hosiery up and down the spinal lamina grooves. Then I hit the knots in the levator scapula and rotator cuff with the magnetic chi vibrator. As I write this, sort of sitting up, I’m thinking about using all of my ice packs. I like the gel ones with the Velcro straps best. Where did I put the MSM/Arnica cream?

1 comment:

Heather said...

The self-massage tools do come in handy sometimes.

I didn't realize I could get rid of my old tax stuff after seven years. I have some house cleaning to do.