August 16, 2011

Rebar and the Concrete Floor

This massage client had survived a long list of honey-dos last weekend and he came in Monday night with a particularly nasty knot in his scapula area.

I thought I would be dealing with a knot in the rhomboid or serratus but this seemed to be less of a problem than the very defined set of longissimus “rods” either side of his thoracic and lumbar spine. Tough, adhesed, stuck in their fascial sheaths these muscles were screaming for massage.

“What did you do this weekend?” I asked, impressed with these muscles.

“You name it,” he said. “Landscaping. I moved the couch five times. Lots of lifting.”

Hmmmn, I thought. These erectors felt like they had done more than that. They felt like they had been hard-marched across the longest concrete floor in the world. Tough, stuck and over-used in their fascia, these muscles felt like rebar.

“What are you doing all day at work? Are you walking around on concrete a lot?”

“You could say that. I’m a commercial broker. Selling leases on empty offices and warehouse space. And it has been brutal.”

“I can feel it,” I said. “Let me guess, You are gussied up in a suit and dress shoes and walking on concrete all day.”

At this point I felt more like Psychic Sue than Fascia Girl. Have other therapists ever had the experience where it seems like the muscles themselves have told you what they have been doing? I know it sounds weird, but it was like these guys were telling me they had enough of tough, long days and bare concrete.

With a lot of myofascial release and stretching, I sent this client home with directions to get some supportive inserts or better dress shoes. Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket this week.

No comments: