June 23, 2011

Meaningful Words and Scalene Havoc

In the process of making an important point, we are all apt to put some “English” on our words, a sort of little extra push that adds emphasis, emotion and belief to what we say. My Dad always used a little “English” on his words when we did something particularly heinous playing rock ‘n roll in the garage. My third-grade teacher had her “English” loud and clear when my classmates and I broke the sound barrier with a mass-squeak-off with long chalks on the blackboard.

A good use of English will get one’s attention in a vivid way. But what about the person whose English has run off with every word? Can we distinguish what is real darn important from what is merely shouted into the wind in a desperate bid for agreement, peace, quiet or meaning?

Yes, I’m in a philosophical mood because as a massage therapist, I’m always on the lookout for perpetuating factors. If I’m going to liquefy the angst and flush it away, I have an interest in seeing it gone for good. And when a client has a perpetuating factor, I try to find a nice, easy way to bring it up and get it gone.

Easy is suggesting a change in one’s workout or computer set-up to relieve trapezial pain. But what to do when one sees ones work swirling in the bowl every time the client speaks?

Oh, heck, I’ve been working with this client, off and on, for more than two years. I get into those posterior cervicals, largely to relieve the pain of muscles immobilized by a fusion, but those darn scalenes!

Does this client have a hobby? Bird watching. Hours spent galumphing through the brush with binoculars. A job? First-grade teaching. Lots of bending over, lots of trying to keep the attention of little people with a 2-second attention span. A life? She’s married to a psychologist. He doesn’t like to argue. They have to discuss everything, calmly and rationally.

These scalenes have an off-road Baja quality that grinds and grunts with every syllable. Running them ragged has become a way of life. I have dreamed of getting these guys to relax for more than 60 minutes on the table. When my client gets up, just mentioning the weather can bring on a scalene crunch of epic proportions.

Time for a change of tactics. It’s summertime, officially, the time when all teachers try top repair whatever the school year did to them. For some reason, no trips are planned this summer. While on the table, she wondered aloud what to do with herself.

“How about taking a tai chi class?” I said softly. “I recommended one last year but you were traveling a lot. Maybe you can fit it in.”

A week later, my client returned with a list of classes, two of which she is taking. And she signed up for a Reiki workshop, too.

I feel the glee of relief. Self-awareness through movement may be the trick.

I told her, quite seriously, in a whisper, “I’m looking forward to not having to tell you to stop playing the piano with your nose.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tai Chi! What a great recommendation. Part of the fun (and sometimes angst!) for me as an LMP is watching others brought to good health on their own time. Thank you for the great story!

Anonymous said...

Jessica: I must say it can be entertaining....My Tai Chi teacher often said that he would say something an average of 600 times before the student heard it for the first time. Patience..a virtue! - Sue Peterson