May 9, 2011

Public Safety in Oils and Other Topicals for Massage

Massage is a natural, low-technology treatment for modern ills, would you not agree?

The nurturing hands of the massage therapist also bring people in contact with oils, and quite naturally, I’ve always been concerned about the effects of oils and topicals being used in massage.

Experience has taught me that the words organic and natural on a label do not always mean what the words imply. I look for smoothers such as liquid silicones, petroleum-based oils and ingredients that just don’t look like they should be there. That means I have to run to the on-line dictionary to look up some of these ingredients to find out what they really are.

Even the seemingly ultra-natural area of essential oils aromatherapy can contain additives that aren’t very natural and could interfere or compromise the product being delivered.

In recent weeks, more alarms have been raised about added ingredients in oils, sunscreens, baby bottles, detergents, make-ups, toys, clothes, etc. On April 27 The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a statement that the 1976 safety rules for added ingredients (Toxic Substances Safety Act) in many items is set so low it amounts to mass experimentation. Kid’s doctors are worried about chemical exposures and rates of allergies and disorders such as autism.

I don’t think of the pediatricians or myself as some knee-jerk naturalists. Chemicals occur in nature all the time and they can be quite toxic. I just don’t want to add some synthetic to the mix that may later be shown to increase sensitivities or allergies in myself and clients.

This is something massage therapists have to consider for their own safety as well as their clients.

My hair stylist friend has told me that when he colors hair, he has to be very careful about his exposure to the chemicals in hair colors. He uses gloves, keeps the shops well-aired and covers his mixing bowl. Developing sensitivities to colors and sprays can significantly shorten a stylist’s career.

I certainly don’t want to be one of those folks who can’t massage anymore because I’ve used some 50-ingredient super-glide lotion. Nor do I want to find out that my clients, sensitive to life as they already are, are getting sick from what I use to try and nurture them.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's exactly why I use all-natural, organic, cold-pressed oils for all of my massages. They are simple, straight forward and so pure you can even eat them. I normally use almond oil or grapeseed oil.

Anonymous said...

Heather: I think it does matter what you use in masage as much as technique and intent. With so many people turning up with these super-allergy syndromes, I like being dafe rather than sorry....Hugs, Sue Peterson