May 17, 2011

Does Where You Massage Matter?

Ok, I’m going to respond to a blog by Lynna Dunn who admits to working at Massage Envy and being proud of it.

Dear Lynna: Good for You! There is nothing wrong with working for a living!

Believe me, I’ve heard some major whining from massage therapists who “would never work for a big chain.” Trust me, they will never work at a big chain because they can’t get to work on time, run on time and keep an eye on their schedule changes. They also can’t show up in a clean uniform and ready to work when their shift starts (not 15 minutes later) with a pleasant attitude.

The structured practice massage therapists find at chains gives all of us a major opportunity to learn how to be therapeutic while being reliable and disciplined. Massage schools are not run like West Point, and after schooling a lot of newbie massage “gods and goddesses” need a reality check.

Which takes me to a related ill of our profession: Are massage therapists flaky? Or are flakes attracted to our profession, lasting just long enough to give us a bum rap? Can we taser these people before they pretend to do massage again?

Egads, I rant. The ranting, by the way comes from some trapped energy in the region of my neck and my give-a-darn. I’ve been both therapist and employer of therapists, situations that taught me compassion for our dear clients. Despite some horrible experiences, our dear clients still come for massages, thank heaven. We just have to get our kit-packs together to serve them.

So work at a chain, work out of your car, work at an airport chair joint, work in a lean-to by the freeway, work in a tent at the flea market. Most of all, keep your chin tucked and stand tall! Your earnest efforts are appreciated!

1 comment:

Lynna Dunn said...

"Can we taser them?" LOL, that made my day :-)