March 14, 2011

Ye Olde Spa

When I was a rookie to the massage field, I took a job, pretty much out of economic desperation, at a large day spa near the big mall. It was, in 1997, the one and only true real spa in the area. I don’t mean fluffy robes, but it actually had the water features that means a real spa – steam, pool, wet rooms and water-based treatments, etc.

This spa had ambitions, five-star ambitions, actually, and I figured I might be able to learn how to make a living at massage and possibly pay my rent in the meantime. It looked pretty spiffy, with a roman-spa feel and design.

I wore my white lab coat and a white polo and uniform pants to fit in for the interview. The new spa director had me give her a massage. I started on time and finished on time, a big deal at a place where one-hour massages are 50 minutes. I thought I was doing grand until I realized I had forgotten to put on deodorant that morning and tried to do a full-body Swedish with my elbows stuck to my sides.
Somehow I managed not to sweat too much during the massage interview and got hired on. There were a lot of therapists working at the spa, and a friend had given me a heads up on how to get by with the herd.

My first day I thought had gone fairly smoothly. I had two massages in a six-hour shift, and one of the experienced therapists was nice enough to show me the ropes, namely where to find sheets and how to fold sheets for an herbal wrap.

I wasn’t as busy as some of the other therapists working that day, and one, a man I’ll call Jon, ran up to me in a panic. He said he was overbooked and asked if I could run the tub in the treatment room while he ran to find his client.
Sure, I was happy to pitch in. I went into the tub room, checked the tub and noticed that the tub switch was set to shower. I looked up and saw the nozzle was pointed right at my head. I turned the switch back to tub and started to run the water, adding salts. When I turned around, I saw Jon was standing in the doorway, peering in at me with a disappointed look on his face.

“The tub’s filling,” I said cheerfully, “Do you need me to do anything else?”
Having survived my first day as a rookie, it turned out that Jon and I became good spa buddies, and it was a truly great place to learn the business.

I heard a few weeks ago that the spa had closed, beat out by the less expensive and more savvy marketing chain spas. It quietly closed it doors, with just a note on the web site thanking its customers and saying goodbye, signed with a generic “the management” sign-off.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Funny story. Too bad the spa has closed now. I've worked as a fill in as a spa, but never had a permanent position at one.

Brad said...

The Spa at South Coast is gone!? Over the years I've worked with several LMT's that started their careers there, they seemed to have enjoyed the experience. Too bad "management" didn't maintain a good marketing plan, they could have helped more therapists get a good start at their careers AND served their clients well...