January 15, 2011

Get Disability Insurance; and Beware of Falling Pianos


In early November of last year, I was asked to take on a sixth shift due to an emergency. "What emergency?" I asked. "Sandra [another massage therapist] broke her foot in thirteen or fourteen places; it's practically crushed," was the reply. "WHAT? How did that happen?" "Well, she dropped a piano on it."


WHAT? And so what sounded like the plot of a Looney Tunes cartoon (I could practically see Wile E. Coyote with a mouth full of piano keys) was the beginning of a six-week unplanned hiatus for poor Sandra and a really screwy schedule for the rest of us. Undoubtably, though, Sandra suffered most. Her foot was so swollen, she couldn't really even stand on it for at least two weeks. When the swelling when down, a cast was put on, almost up to her knee, and she still couldn't work due to pain. Finally, at about a month into the whole mess, she was almost forced to return to work due to financial needs, and she returned on a knee scooter, which she had to leave outside the room, then hop over to her stool for the session. And after several weeks of that, it was a boot and crutches. Only now in mid-January is she finally limping around in regular shoes on two feet.
The scariest part of Sandra's story is how easily something like this could happen to any of this. I love what I do, but this is the most unsecure profession I've ever worked in in terms of stable finances in the face of health issues. Most massage therapists are not salaried and are paid by the session. Most of us do not have sick days or paid vacation or health benefits, even when we are employees, not independent contractors. Which really sucks. Because unlike someone who does data entry, we cannot work easily with a broken foot. Break a hand or finger or dislocate a shoulder, etc., and we are REALLY in trouble. This potential for financial disaster has really worried me at times, especially since short term/long term disability insurance is not always affordable, and some of us aren't even sure where to start looking for it.
This is why I was glad that our employer at least brought in an AFLAC representative after Sandra's accident. At 40, I know I am no longer ten feet tall and bullet proof, so I was very happy to have the opportunity to get disability insurance. Most of us have heard of AFLAC insurance; it's the one with the annoying duck that pays the suffering policy holders directly so that they can have money for whatever they need most during their trying times. A six-month disability policy for me, I believe, will pay a little over half of my typical monthly salary should I lose a month due to illness/injury. Because we got a group rate I'm paying in the $30 range per paycheck, not the $50 range.
I highly suggest all massage therapists consider getting disability insurance, no matter how young and strong they are, because accidents happen. People slip on ice, get Shingles, have babies (yes, birth and several weeks post-labor constitutes disabililty at AFLAC), and even (YIKES!) drop pianos on their feet. I have a little more peace of mind knowing that if something were to happen, my income might suffer . . . but at least it won't disappear. Best of all, if you leave your massage business, you can take your policy with you at no rate change. And all it takes is a call to an AFLAC representative who will come in, bring lunch, give a staff presentation, and hopefully give you your own extra dose of peace of mind.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is something we all have to worry about. When I was working as a massage therapist I used to have nightmares about being injured in a car accident or something. If anything like that happened I'd be unable to work. To make matters worse my husband is a professional music. Any type of injury that would prevent either of us from working could mean that we're out on the street. Getting injury insurance is a great idea. Every self employed person should have it. It provides security.